Saturday, April 26, 2008

Mockingbirds



When I first knew for sure that we were moving to Houston, I wept uncontrollably. It seemed such a strange place to me. Miles and miles of freeway snaking off in every direction carrying heavy traffic morning, noon and night. Black and grey glass buildings dotted along the freeways and never-ending construction of buildings, subdivisions and strip malls. It was such a contrast to sleepy little East London, South Africa where we'd lived for 3 years, and before that - the emerald green beauty of Portland, Oregon pleasantly interrupted by majestic Mt. Hood. My friend Jenny told me "Look for the "pockets" of beauty here, Gillian. You have to look for them!" And so I have - and have found a few. Mockingbirds are one of my favourite things about living in the South-West. I love how they dip and dive and dance in circles especially this time of year, as they joyously seek a mate. I painted this picture from memory - and afterwards looked up some photos online... I see where I can make some improvements on their shape and distinctive feather features. I used Chinese calligraphy paper that I got at a garage sale - and a beautiful brush my sister gave me TWO YEARS ago. Thank you, Cath. I can see why you said its one of your favourites. I finally broke it in!

4 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

Ag, shame man - well you have found many pockets of beauty, some of which we've seen here on your blog. Your mockingbirds do look joyous and quite Chinese, like on the willow-pattern plates. Glad you like the brush! I find the more you let the shape of the brush dictate your marks, with very wet paint, the more enjoyable it is to use, as it is quite hard to control. It's a lovely memory sketch... I have to search for beauty in Joburg too sometimes, especially when winter comes and everything turns brown and/or gets burnt - it's usually in the small things.

Vivienne said...

And I must search here too, when it is hot and dry-drab, flat and insular, lots of eucalypts and lots of work! I have beautiful memories of Houston, as you probably drove me through the prettiest areas ... the live oaks, magnolias, the wonderful birds, and the canal like water systems, big sky, wide streets, your own so pretty and very warm and welcoming home. The mockingbirds could be a design for a plate. Remember Hilary's plates?

Cathy Gatland said...

...just saw a news story about a mockingbird in Houston that dive-bombs office workers trying to get into their building - it's nest must be close by... Quite scary, those little beauties!

Gillian said...

Yes - they are terribly fierce when it comes to protecting their nests. They'll attack cats too. Last summer we had a pair that dive bombed us if we walked up to our front door at the wrong time! Enjoyed your knitting pic, and the boys... Am a bit out of it right now with this and that - and a big dentist appt. this morning - YIKES! I'm quite nervous, haven't had MAJOR dental work in ages! Chat soon... Vonnie comes home tomorrow!!