Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Wisteria and freesias

Our back garden has been looking so pretty but I had to scramble to finish this as the wisteria started to fall apart. (There are little scraps of lilac petals on the ground now.) My purple is far too PURPLE - didn't quite get the lovely delicate colour and they look rather grape'ish! But I think I've made progress in a little more looseness with the use of my brush... The past few days have been warm, muggy and overcast with no shadows. My picture looked rather flat, so I had to fudge in a few shadows to add depth. Now and then the sun would break through enough for me to see real shadows for a few fleeting moments. The scent of both (wisteria and freesias) have been heavenly - very nostalgic of sunny childhood days in Newlands, Cape Town.

4 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

There's nothing like wisteria and freesias to bring the essence of spring - just gorgeous - glad you grew the freesias so successfully - I remember you saying you were going to try when you were over here. I love the way you've done that chair too.

Gillian said...

This is the second season for my freesia bulbs. I planted multi-coloured ones originally but only the yellow ones have come up? I know bees are more drawn to yellow, but I'm sad not to see the other colours... Maybe the gardening website I bought them from was fibbing...?

Cathy Gatland said...

I think the yellow ones are the most hardy - the others are hybrids... and they don't smell as strongly as the yellows. I occasionally have purple ones come up, but mostly yellow. It's time for me to plant those bulbs now!

Gillian said...

Well - get out your gardening gloves, girl! :)