Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sketching in Bergerac

This started as a doodle really, testing a new dipping pen I bought, designed for calligraphy, with various changeable nibs. (I think my son told me it was his favourite for his graphic novel work.) I really battled to get the ink to flow consistently through the nib and ended up being very frustrated. I used a photograph from a glorious hot day in Bergerac, France - almost two years ago. My sisters and I sat on this bench along the Dordogne River and had a go at a little sketching. I started with the face on the left, when my pen was performing at its worst. (I do blame the tool... Apologies to the model, CPG! You don't look anything like that!) My NEW pen should arrive in the mail soon, along with some other supplies.

2 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

Ooh! a drawing with moi in it! (note to self: do not frown when drawing beautiful French scenery and appear as if sucking lemons)I fully understand about sticky pens - I tried to draw Jo and made a total mess with a water wash into the soluble ink...
This does bring right back the memory of a gorgeous day - sun, plums, berries, cheese and sisters - one of many more to come.
How nice to have new supplies on the way, use and enjoy them - I have some unused boxes of paints and pastels and am still itching to get online and order more, mo-o-ore!

Gillian said...

Ja - the putting of items in one's online basket is way too easy! I did make myself put some stuff BACK on the shelf! The good news about my harsh sketch is it does NOT look like you gals at all!! Sukkeling with the stupid nib absorbed my initial focus, not on what would be an appropriate pen line. Distraction of tools won the moment, not form! The photo shows a pleasant frown of concentration! On the positive - it is good to remember that beautiful day, good food and good company.