Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Art Class at East London Tech


It's hard to believe I drew this 12 years ago. A simple rather immature ink drawing - but for me loaded with memories and nostalgia. We had recently moved to East London (South Africa) from Portland, Oregon and my sister Hilary encouraged me to sign up for this art class - very low key and non-threatening, taught by her friend Pam. It was a happy happy time of being HOME and having a few precious hours a week to focus completely on paper, pen and subject without the interruptions of my busy family life. The old lady in the middle (background) looked just like that, if I say so myself! In fact, a chap wanted to buy my drawing when he saw it at the Students' Exhibition because he recognized the people in it. (He also taught art there.) But he never showed up wiff da maanee, and I'm glad he didn't because I had no idea how much I would enjoy looking at this so many years later! I think I'll send it on to Adam for his "Artists Drawing/Painting Artists" project... It's not often that I happen to have the appropriate picture ready to go for such an event!

6 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

Oh it's delightful - I wouldn't say immature at all - reminds me a bit of some of Hockney's drawings, and how special to remind you of that time (if with pangs of sorrow/homesickness). Is that Hilary on the left? Looks like it could be her sort of body language..? I'm sorry we didn't see it before V left this morning, but she'll be back home on Wednesday and will enjoy it then. I must try and do something for Adam's project from a photo...

Gillian said...

No that's not Hilary. She wasn't IN MY class!! (Remember she TAUGHT there, but not at that particular time.) I guess I meant immature in that there are no (or very few) shadows - its very flat looking. But I may have run out of time, I can't remember...? And I probably had the bad habit then that I still have now, in not wanting to go back and try and improve or develop a drawing a little more...

ADITI said...

Great attempts. You could so get yourself some Walter Foster books. They're Amazing, both for human figures and for landscapes!

Gillian said...

Thanks for visiting my site, Aditi! You're the third person - not related to me - to leave a comment!! This is an exciting day! My sisters are very faithful in encouraging me with their comments. But it is nice to be discovered by a new face - so thank you. I'll keep an eye out for the Walter Foster books.

Adam Cope said...

hi gillian

great - thanks for sending along the drawing

i've added your link on my blog roll. hope this helps against 'blog oblivion' .... so there you go, an extra comment for you!

btw, i think not going back over old drawings is a vitue as like this what was unique about the circumstance that lead to the makin of the dcrawing isnt written over nor destroyed in thename of 'perfecting' a drawing

hope you are well in texas

best
adam

Gillian said...

Hey Adam - good to see your comment.
Thank you for your encouragement and wise words. I appreciate it muchly!
We are well in hot, hot Texas.
Best to you and yours.