Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I Voted!


I went shopping this afternoon for some dinner items and saw this delightful elderly lady all dolled up in red, white and blue, in honour of our Election Day here in the U.S. Much care had been taken, right down to her perfectly pedicured feet, bright red toenails in sparkly gold flip-flop style sandals. I felt the urge to draw her when I got home - a good thing... I haven't had the urge to draw for quite some time. As for our vote - I've learned we are a house divided... Some of us voted for McCain, some of us for Obama... heavy sigh. I think we epitomize many families this election. Whatever the outcome, I'm grateful to live in a country where the reins of leadership transition peacefully, even when the race to get there has been hard fought. I'm grateful my right to vote is strongly encouraged, respected and COUNTED! My heart goes out to the land of my birth, Zimbabwe, where power is gripped by a cruel dictator whose self-interest and ego pulse through his octogenarian veins extending a political life that should have ended many years ago.

3 comments:

Vivienne said...

What a great image! Just super, Gin.. you have such a way of capturing the moment. I have just been listening to the victory speech... so much euphoria and so many dreams... and as you say, the grace and generosity on both sides that one expects from a true democracy. I feel the same in every Australian election - so grateful that whichever side wins, the best interests of the country are at heart.God bless America!!

Cathy Gatland said...

She is gorgeous, I can picture her clearly from your sketch - I love Americans' whole-hearted patriotism, and the democratic process is awesome. Africa, and Zimbabwe especially has so much to learn - may your new president help to inspire here!
So glad you got the urge to draw again!

Gillian said...

Thanks sisters for your comments here. This little lady did make me smile. I haven't got tired of listening to the sound bites of Obama's victory speech... and am enjoying the positive energy in the country at the moment. In a highly stressed and complicated world, it feels good to enjoy the euphoria of these history making days, while they last. I hope he has influence in Africa...