Wednesday, November 19, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALISON!

A wonderful tea party happened today in East London, South Africa. How I wish I could have been there. Best wishes to you Alison. My hurried water colour of flame lilies is proving how out of practice I am. But I LOVED doing this - so thank you, Joy, for prompting me to get out my paints and paper. Ali - I hope the Zimbabwean flame lilies help you know and remember how loved you are. I was reading up about the nature of this resilient plant, how they thrive in the tough climate of Africa, prefering heat and dry seasons - only to burst prolifically into flower in spring!

Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.

Lamentations 3:22 - 23

5 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

Oh wow! A Ketchup post - Alison you must be a very special friend! ;-) Happy Birthday from me too, hope you had a lovely tea party - and your family is in my thoughts and prayers.
Gin, your flame lilies are lovely - so vibrant and happy. I'm glad you got out those watercolours and enjoyed yourself. I'm missing my w/c's after a bout of oils...

Anonymous said...

Arent they beautiful, these lilies and you've captured them beautifully...a lovely bithrday wish/gift!
Ronell

Gillian said...

Thank you CPG! And Ronell, delighted to see that you visited my blog again! The posting improved my w/c a lot - the bright light of the poot helps... The resilience of this striking flower is an encouraging symbol to me - that it will bloom despite the awful situation in Zim. And for Ali and her family who are going through a rough time.

Vivienne said...

Oh I have just seen this, and cannot think of a more apt symbol for an amazing person.
Happy birthday to Alison from me too, and to Sheila. You have both been in my thoughts and prayers more than you will ever know!
Gillian you don't have to do lots of sketches, you just 'have it'.XX

Gillian said...

Hi V - good to see you here. Hope your cold is better. Russ and I have also come down with a chesty crud. We had a lovely Thanksgiving at our friends, the Scotts, on Lake Conroe. I see on Facebook that Nell was in Kennebunkport for Th. Vonnie in Chicago - our kids all over the place! Time to get the tree & decor out, if I can find the energy...