Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Dogs, dogs, dogs...




It's been a month since I've posted anything (sounds like a confession!) My life has been hijacked by the needs of our dogs. About six weeks ago, we found a puppy in our neighbourhood. She was so obviously dumped here and we had every intention of leaving her at the shelter. We found her on a Saturday morning and the shelter was closed till Monday. In that time she successfully hijacked our HEARTS; long story short - we now own THREE dogs! She is some sort of terrier mix with short legs and a long body. Calvin and Pippa have cautiously accepted her into the pack, with a lot of filthy looks in the direction of us two legged verticals, as if to say "What were you thinking...??!! We've named her Olive. Shortly after that Calvin, our 12 year old, started ailing. We got him through a collapse of kidneys last week, but we're not sure how long this little period of reasonable stability will last. But here are a few sketches of OLIVE. She reminds us of a seal when she sleeps, her short legs often disappearing from view. I was going to add more shading in brush + ink - but thought I'd better just go ahead and post this before another month rolls away from me! My sister Hilary would have LOVED Olive!

11 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

That's so funny - Lol! :-D !! (The blog confessional - the mind boggles) These sketches are absolutely fantastic - so full of character, and love and care for this little orphan you've taken in, against all your better judgement, but love has conquered all! I have to say 'Olive' reminds me of a card you sent me once about a dog and a loo... :-p
Really, I am astonished at how well you draw, when you don't do it that often (well, it has been a MONTH now, hasn't it?) I don't think they need shading - excellent just as they are.
Hilary would have loved Olive and she would have been delighted by these sketches - so very much in our thoughts today. XXXOOO

Vivienne said...

They are just fantastic, and what a lucky little dog Olive is. I think she is going to repay your love and generosity to her over and over again in so many ways. Dear Calvin. Our Shashi is beginning to ail as well ... cancer bump removed last week. That little greying face is so dear to us! Helps us to face human mortality, I guess, though it isn't much easier as years go by, and yesterday was a sad sort of day. Though Cloe's daughter had a baby girl yesterday!! Much love.

Gillian said...

Thank you, sisters. I did enjoy the creative juices that started flowing again as I put pen to paper. I think I remember that card I sent you Cath. Ew! (Vonnie wanted to name her Olive because she thought her eyes looked like olives...) She is such a sweet little pup - with an old soul - she does seem like an old lady in many ways, right down to the bristly whiskers on her chin!

Vivienne said...

what whiskers? Ha ha. We had the olive card too .. kkept for posterity.

indiaartist said...

Love these sketches,well used ink medium. They are almost quick portraits of your loved ones.

Gillian said...

Thank you, Indiaartist, for visiting my blog. I have to say we all ADORE this puppy - she is special! I'm glad she, with tiny nose to the ground, nudged and waddled her way into our lives and hearts!

Imperious said...

Hello Mrs. Hill! I just found my way to your blog :) Kat and I had a wonderful time going to the brewery with (most) of the Hill clan! I do regret not getting the opportunity to meet Olive. I suppose that is the downside of Chris having a car, there is less opportunity to stop by the Hill household :(

Gillian said...

Hi Robbie & Kat!
Yay that you found my blog! I don't post as much as I should, but it has been a wonderful and creative way to stay in touch with my two very artistic sisters overseas (Cathy & Vivienne) We enjoyed meeting up with you guys at Arnold's Brewery.
Take care.

laura said...

Lucky Olive! These are great, expressive sketches--and Olive looks so very content: home at last!

Gillian said...

Thanks for stopping by here Laura. She is a sweet little mutt. Now to get her to STOP digging in our indoor potted plants and the outdoor ones too. GRRRRR!

laura said...

My cats do that--most aggravating! Crumpling a little tinfoil on top of the soil deters the cats (somewhat); don't know if it's work for dogs ...
I hope Ike has passed you by and left hearth and home undamaged.